3.26.2006

you say you want a revolution

Excuse my bloviating but...

Revolution has been on my mind a lot this week. I guess it started when I saw "V For Vendetta," which is probably the best action film I've seen since "Batman Begins." A couple of days later, some exciting news came out of Euskal Herria - the Spanish/French region known as the Basque Country. ETA, a Basque separatist group that has killed over 800 people in the quest for Basque autonomy, declared a permanent ceasefire "to promote a democratic process in Euskal Herria in order to build a new framework within which our rights as a people are recognized, and guarantee the opportunity to develop all political options in the future." After living in Bilbao, Euskal Herria's unofficial capital, for a semester, I came to understand the Basque passion for self-determinance. They were the region of Spain most oppressed by Francisco Franco's fascist government and they have most idiosyncratic culture in the country. Their language, Euskera, is thought to be the oldest in Europe - no linguist has been able to trace its origins.

Anyways, I never intended this blog to turn into a history lesson, and I swear I'm getting somewhere (musical) with this. I found myself in a strange position in Bilbao because I am all for the demands of ETA, but I didn't like the idea of professors at my school traveling with bodyguards because of their threats. I like to think that violence needn't be a part of social progress and I hope that this cease-fire is a movement towards peaceful revolution. President Zapatero's government seems more receptive to Basque independence than ever. ETA could see itself removed from the terrorist lists of Spain, the EU, and the US and become a legitimate political force. We have yet to see if anything really great will come of it, but I am hopeful nonetheless.

Today's song I think perfectly encompasses this hopeful revolutionary spirit. Gustav hails from Vienna, Austria, and plays bubbly synth-pop with surprisingly provocative lyrics. In a playful, heavily accented sing-speak, she condemns everyday political and corporate attempts to oppress us without getting too worked up about it. She seems confident that the forces of change are ready and willing and I want to believe her. "We shall overcome" indeed.

Gustav - We Shall Overcome

p.s. Less words next time, I promise.

1 comment:

yirgacheffe said...

nothing wrong with words yo...tell matt i am still waiting to hear the elliot and jay-z collaboration, i heard it rocks