4.20.2006

the universal language


School has been seriously kicking my ass and will continue to. I'll be back at full capacity in a couple of weeks but until then I doubt I'll manage more than a couple of short posts. Today's song is fitting considering my current condition: spending way too much time crouched over my computer, drinking all kinds of caffeine and listening to instrumental music that doesn't distract me with the urge to sing along. Hurtmold are a (mostly) instrumental rock band from Brazil. They clearly have listened to their share of Tortoise and Fugazi records, but I don't know much about them beyond that because everything I've found is written in their native Portuguese. Today's song is the title track off their second LP, Mestro, and I think it does a good job of illustrating their strengths. They stay away from the soft-loud dynamics that a hundred post-rock bands have done to death since Mogwai, preferring to experiment with jazzy rhythms and interesting instrumentation including horns, woodwinds, and a vibraphone. If you like it, I strongly urge you to check out the rest of Mestro - it's one of my favorite post-rock albums.

Hurtmold - Mestro

No comments: